What Is 906?
In early 2014 a group of former theatre students from Northern Michigan University sat around over a few drinks and talked. By no great coincidence they had all ended up in the bustling Midwestern metropolis of Chicago, IL and had begun, in earnest, to pursue theatrical endeavors. Before long they began to toss around the idea of a theatre company that embraced the ideals and standards that had been instilled in them by former directors, colleagues, mentors, and experiences.
At 906 uphold theatre as an art form which illuminates the human condition. Our mission is to create theatre that is inherently honest and which puts the story first. We believe…
- The playwright is the primary artist.
- Theatre is a collaborative process. Successful collaborations are comprised of kind people and developed in a supportive environment.
- Theatre is about connection and energy.
- Honesty is the path to catharsis.
- The best theatrical artists love the art in themselves, not themselves in the art.
- “…Relationships are at or near the center of almost every play.” –David Ball
- “In the theatre, the most important thing you can understand is who you are, and where you fit.” –Paul Truckey
- The theatre only requires three things: 1. An Actor 2. A Space 3. An Audience
- It's called, "play‟ for a reason.
- “Art isn‟t easy.” –Stephen Sondheim
- “Drama is that willing suspension of disbelief which constitutes poetic faith.” –Samuel Taylor Coolidge